Steven D. Benjamin is an attorney in private practice with the
Richmond, Virginia firm of Benjamin & DesPortes.
- Forward: "Broken Justice: The Death Penalty in Virginia," American Civil Liberties Union (11/12/2003)
- Co-author: A Plea to Virginia: Free the Innocent, Op/Ed (invited), Washington Post, December 15, 2002
- Co-author: "Other Acts against Humanity: A Defense Attorney's Perspective on Virginia's Death Penalty," presented at the American Academy of Forensic Sciences Annual Meeting, 2001
- Co-author: "Forensic Science and the Criminal Lawyer: A View From the Front Lines," presented at the American Academy of Forensic Sciences Annual Meeting, 1999
- Co-author: Counsel's Crumbs, Washington Legal Times, August 13, 2001
- Co-author: "Survey of Criminal Law and Procedure," University of Richmond Law Review (1988, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1997)
As the 54th President of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Benjamin authored the following series of monthly columns for the The Champion, NACDL's monthly journal for the criminal defense community. The Champion is also distributed to the federal judiciary and others with an interest in criminal justice. His August, 2012 column is an abridgement of his acceptance remarks after his installation in San Francisco in July, 2012.